4 November 2016

Circles and Cycles




I sat down to write this week's blog post and .... nothing! No inspiration, nothing to say. Usually, something has come to my attention over the week that I want to share, but not this time.  I haven't participated in any 52@50 experiences this week either so I couldn't use that to get me started. I sat there and I sat there, willing something to pour forth but no, so I closed the computer and went to do something else instead.  

Then November arrived and we were full-on into autumn with all its glorious colours. On Tuesday morning I stood at the top of the Downs near Polesden Lacey and looked towards London but there was no view, just a very thick blanket of fog. The next day I walked to the same spot in bright sunshine and the view was clear and sharp. What a difference 24 hours makes.  And there it was - my subject for the blog this week - circles and cycles. The turning of the day into night, the changing of the seasons, the years and our lives themselves are cycles. Nature is full of circles and spirals too - flowers, shells, markings on ladybirds' wings (I've seen a lot of ladybirds this week). And my yoga practice itself is a cycle too - a gentle beginning to warm the body, strength-building poses, followed by slow, long stretches and then Savasana,which offers the opportunity to let go and begin again, renewed and refreshed. 

Mandalas

The Sanskrit word 'mandala' translates as 'circle'. Mandalas are circular designs used in the Hindu and Buddhist traditions as meditation aids and as offerings. Their circular form represents the Universe, and the intricate patterns within the circle are infinite and never-ending. Meditating on a mandala helps you to focus - there is repetition and order, energy and beauty which help to calm and relax the mind. 

Although Mandalas are part of the Hindu and Buddhist traditions, circular patterns are also found in Christian churches in stained glass windows and on the floors, and in Celtic designs too. In all traditions, the circle represents the cycle of life with no beginning and no end. 




Mandalas have been in my consciousness for a couple of weeks now - on my recent weekend retreat to Florence House in Seaford I shared mandala colouring pages and pens, and this week in class our standing poses took the form of a circular flow.  Funny how I had been searching for a theme for the blog and it was already there.  I just couldn't see it.  I had to wait for my fog to clear before I had a good view.  

I thought you might like a mandala to colour.  It's very relaxing - the perfect antidote to our busy lives where we are so often multi-tasking, colouring a mandala invites you to focus your attention on the circle and become completely absorbed in the colours and the infinite patterns of the design. Once you have coloured it, keep it somewhere safe and you can use it as a meditation aid - take a comfortable seat with your mandala picture in front of you, set an intention (you might want to quieten the mind or your intuition to help you make a decision, whatever feels right), then let yourself become focussed on the patterns, infinite circles and colours of your mandala for 5 or 10 minutes. Acknowledge your intention at the end of your meditation and observe how you feel.  

To print the mandala out, right click on the picture and, if your computer works in the same way as mine, you will get an option to 'open image in a new tab'. You can then press Control and P to print it out.  I hope that works for you and that you enjoy some rest and relaxation with some creative colouring.






This week's recipe...Stir-fried Savoy Cabbage with Caraway Seeds

A cabbage has it's own spirals and circles too - study yours as you slice it to make this super-quick and very tasty side dish. The caraway seeds give it a unique flavour.  The recipe comes from the Florence House Cook Book which was for sale at my recent weekend retreat there. I'm slowly working my way through it.  Although it doesn't have any photos (usually a pre-requisite for my recipe book purchases), it does offer really easy, yummy and mostly vegetarian recipes, many of which I've never come across before.  

You will need:

1 Savoy cabbage
Olive oil
1 tablespoon of caraway seeds
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper



Here's how to make it:


  • Finely slice the cabbage.
  • Heat a wok or large frying pan and add some oil.
  • Add the cabbage and the seeds and stir-fry until the cabbage has wilted and started to go golden around the edges.
  • Season with salt and pepper.

This recipe serves 4 portions.



If you're looking for some inspiration for some tasty, healthy, wholefood dishes (although there's a good selection of desserts in here too), the cook book is available to purchase for £10. Please contact me via email to hi@thriveyoga.co.uk and I will order a copy for you.


This week's musical offering... Circle by Karunesh.  This track has a slow rhythm that could accompany both a slow vinyasa flow and some relaxing seated stretches.  





And finally, some pictures of circles and spirals courtesy of Mother Nature - once you start looking you see them everywhere...










Leaving you with this pretty mandala containing a thought for the week ...


5 comments:

  1. Nice article on information.
    please refer our website for informationSaroj Yoga Wellness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving such a great information about horses
    gloves are very important part while riding a horse. It provides you too much comfort while riding a horse
    I'm very crazy about horses.
    keep doing well.
    horse leather gloves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever noticed that if you take the same route to work day after day, you begin to recognize the faces and vehicles of your fellow commuters? One car will be memorable for its hubcaps, another for its bumper stickers. bicycle sticker

    ReplyDelete